Saturday, March 10, 2012

KONY 2012

This blog began 3 years ago with my trip to Uganda with an organization called Invisible Children.  I traveled to Uganda to work in a school in Northern Uganda, teaching and interacting with the students and teachers to discuss the power of education and what is possible.  I went though because I had been inspired by this organization to do my part to help the people of Northern Uganda who had suffered so much from the war there.  I went because I did not know what else to do.  The experience changed my life... I went back to graduate school to focus on international education development and with that I moved to Colombia to keep learning and understanding how education can transform the lives of others.

But in the craziness of my own life and my own adventures, I forgot that my friends in Uganda and others in Africa are still dealing with the war and the effects of Joseph Kony, leader of the Lord's Resistance Army which has abducted tens of thousands of children and killed, raped, and mutilated tens of thousands more.  Recently, Invisible Children created this video and call to action that has reminded me that despite any of the "hardships" I might feel in my life, I am extremely blessed.  My original interaction with Invisible Children inspired me to do more with my life but this new video reminds my that there is much more that I can be doing to positively impact the lives of others.

As with everything there is another side to this story and it is up to you to decide where you stand.  Still, I felt it my duty to share this information with you, as I think it is something that everyone should know about.  I've included the video from Invisible Children followed by additional information, including some of the critiques.

KONY 2012 from INVISIBLE CHILDREN on Vimeo.



NPR Story:  While Contoversial, 'KONY 2012' has put focus on atrocities
Another side of the story:  Visible Children Blog, Kony 2012 viewed critically

Thanks to Haley for keeping me up-to-date! :)

1 comment:

  1. This is a very complicated issue as evidenced by the lively debate that has ensued. Thanks for passing this on. I really appreciate it. I've decided to write a little bit about it from my experience.

    ReplyDelete