Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bucket list: 13.1 in Bogotá!

So... I have been feeling a bit lazy and bored lately (perhaps these two feelings don't go hand-in-hand...but it feels like that right now).  I'm in need of a project.  I applied for some curriculum development projects - but no one seems to want to hire someone who is working in Colombia. :(  I also have been less active than I should be.  So after reading through my Bucket List for the 15th time and being inspired by friend Ms. Sophia Burton, I signed up for the Media Maratón Bogotá.  No I haven't been running, unless playing basketball once a week with 14 year old girls counts (it doesn't in my book).  And yes, the city is located 8,612 feet above sea level, making breathing a bit more difficult.  Still, the bucket list said run a half marathon in another country, so you betcha I'm going to do this.  I mean I've run a marathon before and I've run two half marathons before...so how hard could this be, right?!

Wrong.

Today, I went for my first run.  Runner's World tells me, if I consider myself a beginner (I do.), that I need 14 weeks to train.  I currently have 21.  So I've decided that I need to run 30 minutes 2 times each week and then an hour on the weekends (ideally).  Today I gave myself 30 minutes.  I ended up running 33 minutes and only going 2.75 miles.  That's a 12 minute mile!  Oh dear.  I've got some work to do.  I'm also totally pooped...and sore...and hungry....and I only went 2.75 miles on a completely flat road. 

Still, I have something to work towards and that feels wonderful.  Will keep you posted on my progress and if you have tips on nutrition, cross-training, etc.  I'm all ears! :)

1 comment:

  1. Great goal! I don't think I could do it (well, I know I could but that's because I think anything is possible for each one of us). Well, I could but it's very difficult with exercise-induced asthma that worsens the longer I exercise. I always did short-distance in track & field at at school.

    So I admire you greatly and support you in your efforts!!

    ReplyDelete