Monday, February 13, 2012

Going to the dentist

For my first month in Colombia I had insurance that only covered emergencies.  After that I was told that my insurance would cover regular check ups and what not.  Lost in translation, I thought the information I received from a company called Skandia was my health insurance information.  I went along thinking this, until last week when my health insurance card and information arrived for me at the school...only 6 months after arriving in Colombia.  Oops.  I also received information from Skandia.  Skandia assists in savings.  It is required by law the companies and employees but 4% of the employee's salary into a retirement fund.  For me it's a little different - again, forgetting what my contract says I forgot about this money but the school has been putting an amount equivalent to 4% of my salary into this account.  Sweet!

Anyhow, I sat down to read the information, was totally confused and was feeling greatly in need of a dentist.  When I went to the dentist in the States this summer, my dentist said it would be a good idea to get two fillings... this has had me feeling nervous and knowing that I needed to care of my teeth but I just didn't have the energy to try and figure out the system.  With the booklet on my health insurance and my insurance card I felt more prepared.  I asked for help with friends in my bus route and I spoke with folks in HR.  The person who helped me get things done though?  Juan Carlos.  I'm not sure why I just didn't go to him from the beginning.  In less then 24 hours, he called the clinic, got me and appointment AND accompanied me to the dentist.  Good thing because even with an understanding of the Spanish that was being said to me I was totally confused by the entire system...
  1. There are only a handful of locations that I can go because I have the most basic insurance.  Perhaps not ideal - but for me, free.
  2. In order to see a doctor immediately, I could not be picky about the location which meant going to El Querigua - an hour-long Transmilenio ride from my house.   (Transmilenio is the public bus system in Bogotá that I had avoided until today...but now I can check it off my bucket list! Hooray!) I left school at 4pm and got on the bus at 5pm.
  3. You arrive at the clinic - this was an "urgent" visit - take a ticket, and wait to check-in.  You then wait to see the doctor.  I was impressed with the punctuality.
  4. The dentist poked around my mouth and sprayed some cold air on my teeth for about 2 or 3 minutes and then decided that I don't have any cavities but that she will order x-rays for me if I want to be sure.  I want to be sure.  (Again, my dentist in the U.S. told me in July...or August that I have cavities.  Here they tell me I don't.  Do I believe the dentist in the U.S. with the good technology who is going to make $500 if I get these cavities filled or do I trust the Colombia dentist with limited technology who has no incentive to lie to me?  Tough call.)
  5. They don't do x-rays at the clinic.  I have to go to another location, get the x-rays, and then return to the dentist for her to read them.
  6. It's 7pm.  The clinic closes at 7:30pm.  It's pouring.
  7. Juan Carlos and I run down the street looking for an x-ray place that is open - we are crammed under an umbrella barely big enough for one.  We are soaked.  There are no places open for x-rays at this hour.  We stop for empanadas. We agree they are not the best empanadas we've had but are a heck of lot better than being hungry, cold and wet.
  8. We walk 20 minutes in the rain to the bus station and take the hour-long bus ride back to my house.  I arrive home at 9 pm.
  9. I get in my pajamas, turn on my electric blanket, and e-mail my boss to explain why I will have to write my lesson plans in the morning.  I'm pooped.
After all this, I still don't have the x-rays and I need to return to the clinic for a cleaning (in a week and a half) and to have the dentist ready by x-rays.  If I do have cavities according to the x-rays, I will have to return again.  This is potentially 7 - 8 more hours of my life.  Dear God.  Again, all this is pretty much free.  I had to pay about $10 (23,000 colombian pesos).  The school is paying for my insurance, where normally the employees have to pay a percentage from their salary.  So I shouldn't complain - I know this.  It is certainly an adventure though...

2 comments:

  1. Item 4 made me laugh! Good writing. I'm curious to see how this story ends. I, too, need to go to the doctor, and I will figure out the system . . . someday. Right now, I'm trying to figure out a permanent place to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, so you have to email lessons plans each day before school? Wow, you guys are on-point!

    ReplyDelete