Sunday, February 12, 2012

Go big or go home!

So this past week, I started getting the same questions from students and teachers "Are you going to the Bazar?"

I tend to be the last one to know about things because only certain things are communicated to new teachers and my Spanish limits me from picking up information from eavesdropping (I have to listen REALLY hard if I even want to understand what folks are saying...and to this discretely? much more difficult).  So I started trying to get information about this Bazar.  And all I could gather was that it was a fair-like event to raise money for the 11th graders.  We then started receiving e-mails about the lack of people signing up to work at "our-Bazar".  This just made me a bit angry because not once had I receive a formal e-mail with any information about this even that was supposedly mine somehow.

Well, the weather was absolutely perfect on Sunday (and Saturday for that matter) - sunny, about 70 degrees, a cloud every once in a while to keep the heat down - perfect.  So I rounded up Juan Carlos and we drove up to the school (in terrible traffic because everyone in Bogotá had the brilliant idea of getting out of the house).  Well, when we arrived I was totally surprised - in a good way.  This was a real, professional-ish carnival/fair.  There was tons of food, games, rides/things to climb and bounce around in for the kids, and entertainment (music, dancing, etc.).  I ate Sushi, Juan Carlos some sort of pork dish and then pizza (the guy can eat!).  After this we got in line to play Tombola.  People here love this game!  Basically, you buy a ticket and when its your turn you pick a number.  The  number corresponds to a prize.  You're guaranteed to win something - although some prizes are better than others.  Students told me about people winning a stick of butter and dog food.  But then other people have won bikes, drum sets, and weekend getaways.  Juan Carlos and I won a set of products from a Bath & Body-type store and a set of wine glasses.  Not too bad for $4.50... but kind of silly.  After that we watched the Carnaval-esque dancers and then played miniature golf.  Sadly, I got my butt kicked...I tried to be a gracious loser - but oof.  Juan Carlos didn't even know the rules!!!

Anyhow, a great way to spend the weekend.  I'm glad I didn't blow off the event. :)

Trying to look happy after losing at mini golf.

In line to play Tombola!

The entertainment was so fun!

No words.

1 comment:

  1. I'm convinced that in the Caribbean and South America, Carnaval is a season, not a day or a few days. :-)

    I'm glad you went, as well.

    I never knew what the craze was about sushi, but to be honest, these days I eat sushi at least 3 times a week. :-)

    ReplyDelete