Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The future is a blur

I think I'm having a bit of a crisis.  Maybe it has something to do with almost being 30.  Or maybe it's just me.  I'm getting antsy.  I'm worrying that I'm not doing enough with my life.  I have this constant inner dialogue  - it's a fight between my "I'm going to save the world" me and my "I just want to relax and enjoy life as it comes" me.

I came to Colombia to learn a second language.  It seemed a valuable skill, especially after being in a Masters program where it seemed I was the only one who did not speak (at least) two languages fluently.  To work internationally, a second language is critical.  To work in schools in the United States, Spanish is becoming more and more important if I want to reach the families of all learners.  Still, I'm here now and I'm so happy about learning Spanish but I want to do more.  I hate to say teaching isn't enough because teaching is tough and it's an honorable profession but for me I need something more.   But what? And where?

This is where the "relax and enjoy life as it comes"me steps in.  I like living in Bogotá.  I've got great friends and life is simple here...or simpler than life in the U.S.  I don't have a car and don't really want a car.  I don't constantly feel the need to go shopping for new clothes or obsess about my weight.  When I visit the U.S., I'm attacked by the intense consumerist nature of EVERYTHING and find myself wanting, wanting, wanting...crap I don't need.  The weather here is beautiful - although I am missing fall.  I have a comfortable income that doesn't permit me to do anything too crazy but also doesn't prevent me from doing most of what I want (just non around-the-world trips for me at the time).

Still, I'm getting to a point where I want to settle down, buy a house, invest in hobbies (I don't do that here because if I leave the country all my stuff won't fit in 3 suitcases and it will cost a fortune to ship), meet someone...but where do I go?  Where can I live a healthy, relaxed, limited-consumeristic-pressure lifestyle?  Where can I find a job that challenges me and let's me dream and develop and pays me a comfortable salary that would allow me to buy a house, visit family and friends often, and not worry so much about money?   Where can I find love?  (Yep, I've reached the tipping point...I'm ready).  I just don't know.

For now, I'm looking for projects here in Bogotá to keep me busy and to inspire me, trying to get back into running and yoga, searching daily for potential jobs for next year, reading lots (to keep my mind fresh), taking an online course on Mathematical Thinking (it's awesome) and trying to enjoy the great people I have in my life... still, if anyone has advice, recommendations, thoughts, some immense wisdom to solve these mysteries of life, etc.  I'm all ears!


No comments:

Post a Comment