Thursday, October 11, 2012

Inspiration!

So my last post was more like a diary entry.  Sorry.  But it was on my mind and I'm starting to think that I might have more success if I put my hopes, dreams and goals on this blog, because folks will hold me accountable.  Maybe?  Anyhow, yesterday I had a few inspirational moments and was reminded of another piece of inspiration from the past. So I thought I'd share.

Last night had dinner with a good friend who I hadn't seen in months.  She loves to dream, thinks big, and is constantly encouraging me.  She helps me to see the impossible (or at least terribly daunting) as possible.  We talked about personal goals and professional goals and I came to some conclusions:  1) Yes, I'd like to find someone to share my life with BUT right now I have amazing friends that are filling that void just fine.  2) There is a lot I want to accomplish and I am fully capable of realizing these dreams...just gotta get my butt in gear and not focus on the things that are not going my way.  Really that was it.  (We were so wrapped up in our conversation, I forgot to take a photo. Sorry.)

When I got home, I got into bed and began reading a book that another friend of my recommended.  This guy sends these craaaaazy long e-mails to friends and family every month or so.  They are dense.  Sometimes...ok, most times...I have to skim because he's way more intelligent than me so sometimes what he says is over my head...other times, well, these e-mails are long.  Time is limited.  Anyhow, I take away 2 or 3 gems from every e-mail he sends, even with my skimming method.  It's awesome.  This book was one of the gems.  It's called Spark:  Transform your World, One Small Risk at a Time.



 I suppose it's kind of self-helpy but it is kicking my butt into gear.  Just from one 30 minute session (chapters 1 and 2).  The quote that I read seemed to say exactly what I was feeling when I wrote my last blog:
"I want a life full of rich, rewarding love.  I believe we all do.  We all long for lives that are profoundly, deeply, unexplainably joyful.  And whlie we may not always be aware of it, we have a deep longing to be truly good, to be honorable and compassionate, to be able to look ourselves in the mirror and admire who we see.  We crave kindness.  We admire those who are strong, yet gentle, patient, and in control of their thoughts, attitudes, and actions.
That's the kind of person I want to be."
Me too.

The idea the book presents is that we need to take small risks every day, every week, always in order to  make our lives what we want them to be in the moment.  Planning for the future is not a bad thing but it can drag you down and I know for me give me a constant feeling of slight (or sometimes serious) dissatisfaction.  You have to read the book to really understand what I'm saying - the author has a much better way with words that I do - but just the first two chapters have impacted me.  I've identified my risk for the next week and already put it into motion. Not going to say quite yet what it is  - but will share soon when I have more info on the results.  ;-)

Finally, in addition to identify my healthy risk for the week, I also started making a list of lots of things that I want to do to.  Again, two chapters = inspiration, I couldn't stop brainstorming.  Anyhow, I was reminded of a favorite poster of mine, which I think I've shared before because I'm always saying I don't have enough time.  The poster's advice...no time?  Stop watching tv.  So I've given up the tube for the rest of the month to see where that gets me.

The link to this poster, if you want to buy it.

This might just be another diary entry-like blog post, but perhaps what inspires me will inspire you as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment