Thursday, September 20, 2012

The toughest part about living abroad

Today I received the news that my grandmother, Jane Cottrell, passed away at the age of 94.   She was failing quickly and it was clear she was ready for her next adventure (as my father put it), but that doesn't make losing her any less heart-wrenching.  The worst part of it all is that I am thousands of miles of way and know I will not be home for the service.  I won't be there to be a support for my dad and to spend the time sharing all the great memories and stories we have of Grandma.

Because I can't be there, I thought I'd share a few of the memories I have of this wonderful person:
  • Perfect handwriting.  She told me stories of how she had to do all these crazy exercises to make perfect curves and curlicues.  
  • Summers at her house.  Where to begin?  Several summers in a row,  I spent one or two weeks in Sodus, NY on the farm with Grandma.  These weeks with Grandma where the best.  
    • She always gave me and my cousins a ton of freedom.  She could get away with this because we would never want to disappoint her so we'd avoid doing anything too stupid.  We'd spend the entire day outside - in the woods, climbing Skunk hill, swimming in the lake and the creek, climbing trees, catching all sorts of critters, playing games (all the cousins together).  When it was time to head home, Grandma would blow the whistle and we all run home.  Her only rule was that we always needed to hear the whistle.
    • Soap opera marathons.  There were some days when the cousins weren't around and she'd let me lounge around all day in my pajamas watching Soap Operas with me
  • Card games.  Grandma was the Queen of Cards.   As I grew older, I realized that when I was younger she'd change the rules so that I could win.  Still, we played hours upon hours of cards.  She never seemed to be unhappy playing cards with me.  Up until last year, that was still the activity we shared.  Every time I visited her at the nursing home we'd play Rummy 500...or 200...or until she fell asleep. 
  • Clams.  Orbakers or on the Point, up until the very.  Grandma loved her fried clams.  Every time I eat them I think of her and always will.  Silly, I know, but something that I remember.
The list goes on and I know I'll continue remembering more and more wonderful things about Grandma over the next few days and weeks.   These memories are what will help to keep her with me forever.  I love you so much Grandma and hope that you are now in a better place.  Happy and free of pain...

No comments:

Post a Comment