Thursday, September 6, 2012

Broke Genius

When I first found out that I was going to have to pay to leave the country to get a new visa, I was sooo angry with myself.  As I mentioned I had to both pay a fine AND pay for a very expensive, emergency flight out of the country.  This was no cheap errand.  In the end, however, I’m thinking that I might be really smart.  I tricked my school into giving me a weeklong vacation, without giving me a hard time.  Nice.  And a week with some of my favorite people in Houston was an absolute blessing.  I made the most of this brief time in H-town.  There were so many great things about the trip, here are some of the highlights:

1.     Airport Welcoming Committee:  I did not land, collect my bags and pass through Customs until about 11:45pm.  Still, as I exited security Pears, Lora and Rachael were there to welcome me with a sign that said “Happiest B’s in the Airport” and a bag of Texas goodies including: Texas flag bandana, Bluebonnet seeds, Armadillo magnet, Texas keychain, Texas-sized Jelly Beans, margarita-flavored chocolate bar (not sure about this one), Texas-themed fake tattoos… so fun!  Not only did these lovely ladies pick me up at this crazy hour, they then rallied and took me out dancing until the bar closed.  Woop!

 

2.     Family Dinner:  Pears began this tradition during my last few months living in Houston and has continued it ever since.  She cooks all afternoon, all her friends are invited, we devour everything in about 30 minutes.  The menu:  Pot Roast, mac & cheese, green beans, corn muffins, salad and a delicious peach cobbler for dessert.  YUM!

      3.     A 2nd Cup:  This place makes me giddy and teary-eyed all at once.  Erica Raggett (who I have known since we met  at the 2005 Houston Institute where we were in the same CMA group) has left teaching and has started a non-profit coffee shop that is working to address the issue of human trafficking in Houston and beyond.  Her coffee shop educates people on the issue and raises funds for programs that support victims of human trafficking with shelter, training, counseling, and more.  The coffee shop is temporary but is super hip  - a coffee shop you’d want to visit even it was for-profit – but on top of that you know your money is going to a good cause.  It is SO inspiring to see someone who has truly found her calling.  Goooo ERICA!!!!

      4.  Breakfast tacos from Chiloso’s:  Eggs, potatoes, cheese, sausage, guac, and hot sauce in a flour tortilla. ‘Nough said.
      
      5.  Mexican Food AND Katie Norwood:  So of course I wanted Mexican food while I was in Texas.  It’s just better than what you can get in Colombia.  And no, the food from all South and Central American countries is not the same….don’t be so foolish.  Well, a person who inspires and who I’ve mentioned on my blog also happened to be in town this week and happens to also have an affinity for Mexican food, Lupe Tortilla to be exact.  So the infamous Katie Norwood joined Pears, Lora, Kat and I for an excellent meal.  The queso was best case…and so was the company.

     6.   Antidote:  Also a coffee shop.  An old favorite.  When I lived in Houston, I could pull up in my car and my iced coffee would be waiting for me be the time I reached the counter.  On Fridays, I’d treat myself to what I thought was a bear claw…apparently, it’s actually called monkey bread or a series of other names…a bear claw is something else.  Still, before both trips to the Colombian consulate I picked up an iced coffee and on one of those trips I purchased that heavenly Danish that I have dreamed of every since leaving Houston.  Worth every calorie.
      
     7.   Sunny days next to the pool.  It is HOT in Houston.  I mean, I-am-constantly-dehydrated-and-dizzy hot.  But I made the most of it by finding a pool for 2 of the days I was there.  Didn’t get as tan as I would have liked but definitely look a little less pasty now.  God Bless Texas.
      
      8.     Cheap clothes.  I really am broke but I had to find a little money in the budget to hit up Old Navy, Marshalls, and H&M.  They don’t exist in Colombia and absence makes the heart grow fonder… updated the wardrobe with a few key pieces: blazers, a pencil skirt, some dresses, and some tees & blouses.    Hopefully, this will ensure that I don’t spend my entire Christmas bonus on clothes (yes, I’ll be state-side again in December!).
     
      9.     Driving.  Yes, there are cars in Bogotá and yes, I have friends who have offered to let me drive their cars but driving in Bogotá is a traffic nightmare.  Driving in Houston on the highway, on the other hand = freedom!  It was so nice to get in a car, drive 70 mph and sing at the top of my lungs without bothering a soul.  (Thank you Pears for taking a risk and allowing me to borrow your car, despite the fact that I hadn’t driven in…ohhh, 8 months?  Thankfully your car didn’t fall to the same fate as your blue stapler)
      
     10.   Visa without a hassle.  I visited the visa on Monday.  I waited 30 minutes.  Spoke with someone for 2 minutes and turned in my papers.  Picked up the visa on Thursday and spent a total of 15 minutes there.  So after $1,000+ spent on travel, I was grateful that I could enjoy my “vacation” stress-free in terms of the visa situation.  Gracias Colombia.
     
     11.  Brunch with Rachael and a Bloody Mary.  It was a lot hotter than I remember but Backstreet Café is the best brunch place in Houston and it was absolutely delicious.  I think I made Rachael a fan too.  She had trouble deciding between the gingerbread waffles and the banana-stuffed French toast…she will HAVE to return.  In addition to the great food and the Bloody Mary, time with Rachael is always a blessing.  She makes me think and motivates me to be a better person.  Love her!
      
      12.   The B House.  So nice to be able to visit a place that still feels like home.  The house still has a lot of my stuff: furniture, dishes, books, pics, etc. and the other ladies act like I totally belong there.  Was so easy to sleep there for a week, even on the air mattress in the dining room.  It was also perfect timing, as the 30th birthday of a friend was on Saturday.  The theme?  His favorite things: Lonestar beer and hot dogs.  Hilarious.
      
      13.  YES North Central.  What an amazing place.  There are a LOT of new faces but it is more obvious than ever that the school is AWESOME.  It was so great to visit, hear the conversations taking place between teachers and administration about quality instruction and how to best support children.  Made my heart so happy.
      
      14.  Law & Order Marathon:  Yep.  A week in Houston and I chose to sit on the couch with some of favorite ladies and watch tv allllll day long. 

I know I’m missing a lot…but this blog is getting ridiculously long.  Thanks to everyone who helped to make my visit amazing!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your life seems exciting. How wonderful to be able to make lemonade out of some big lemons!!! I'm trying to be like you. I love how you stay connected and in touch with all of your dearest friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pic of you trying on shoes is hilarious. Also, you look pretty hot. Glad you had a fun trip and maybe we should discuss the possibility of a HGSE reunion around Christmas time?!?!

    ReplyDelete