Saturday, December 3, 2011

El día de la fraternidad

Christmas has arrived in Bogotá.  The lights have been hung on every building and with the switch from November 30 to December 1, the feeling has completely changed.  This is good and bad.  For whatever reason Christmas lights and Christmas generate feelings of warmth and happiness deep within my core - probably connected to memories of Christmas pageants, opening up stockings at the foot of my parents' bed, and Cookie Day with my mom and her friends.  This time of year, however, also brings life to a level of hectic that I have never been comfortable with.  Schedules at school constantly change, there are too many parties to attend (usually on school nights when I have too much due the next day), and everyone wants to play Secret Santa (here, it's Secret friend....that's another story).  Still, while my school has been slowly driving this uber-organized gal (me) insane with the regular surprise additions in the schedule that result in canceled classes - this Friday's schedule change was a delight.

This Friday was the día de la fraternidad. I think translated it's "day of brotherhood (and sisterhood)".  On this day the entire school headed to the nursing homes throughout the city to bring gifts, music, and love to the "ancianos" of Bogotá.  My group was a group of about 150 students and we were visiting with about 150 elderly folks.  We arrived to this beautiful convent (supposedly most of these homes are NOT so nice, so it was nice to see one place doing things right).  The elderly adults were in a giant sunroom waiting for their guests.  I had no idea what to expect from the students but they were incredible.

First, they spread out the through the room simply saying hi and finding a place to sit.  Then the novenas began.  I think I might need to explain novenas in another post (next week when they officially begin in Colombia) but briefly - Novena de Aguinaldo is a series of prayers that Colombians say during the nine days before Christmas.  Because our school ends the day before the novenas officially begin, I think they've decided to get in an extra round of the novenas.  Each day of the novena includes a series of reading AND songs.  We spent about 20 minutes going through the reading and singing the song.  Thankfully it's the same song over and over and I had a student to help me learn the lyrics.  The songs are fun and the students brought guitars and tambourines to liven up the performance.


Following the novena, the students spread out again throughout the room and colored pictures of Christmas scenes with the members of the nursing home.  Everyone was laughing and telling stories and having a wonderful time.  I was so impressed by the kindness and the maturity of the students.

Our stay only last about 2 1/2 hours but it was an absolutely wonderful way to begin the holiday and to remind me of the things that really matter.  There will always be work and stress, but it is important to relish in these moments and take time to notice all the beauty, kindness, friendship, and love that does exist in this world - even when it's sometimes hidden by all the yucky stuff.








No comments:

Post a Comment