Monday, November 28, 2011

So much to be thankful for!

So it was definitely a bit sad when Thanksgiving arrived and I found myself riding in the van to school - the only one aware that this very big holiday was in progress.   I found myself missing turnips (that Grandma Naylor makes special for me...because I think I might be the only one in the family who eats them); missing walks in the woods bundled up with hats, gloves, and scarf; and missing the same family stories that are told every year and somehow seem to get funnier with each telling of them.

Still, as it is a day to give thanks - there is certainly a lot that I am thankful for.  I made sure to use this day to let all my students know what it is about them that I am most thankful for.  I wrote them each a thank you note and before I passed out the note I explained what the holiday is all about.  They loved it - and many of them took the time to say what they were thankful too.

Also, I wasn't alone for the holiday.  My cousin Drew flew down to visit during his long weekend (Wednesday through Sunday).  It was so nice to see a familiar face and not feel like I was totally isolated from the Naylor/Cottrell clans.  I signed him up for an all-day tour of the city on Thursday because I had to work and then on Friday he came to school with me and helped teach 3 of my classes.  So fun!  Every night we went out for great Colombian food, drinks, and fun.  On Saturday, what was supposed to be a quick lunch up in the mountains turned into a road trip because on our way down the road was blocked so we had to drive an hour away from the city before we could connect to another road that would lead us home.  It ended up being an awesome addition to Drew's trip, as he got to see the Colombian countryside.  So thankful for Drew's visit, as sharing with someone else reminds you of all the wonderful things that you have in your life.

I've also been overwhelmed by life lately.  This is the time of the year where the work starts piling up - there are holiday parties, Secret Santa games, final exams (which means LOTS of grading), Christmas shopping, packing, I've also squeezed in a visit to Ecuador scheduled for December 7.  So what does this have to do with being thankful?  Well, the reason that a lot of the work is becoming overwhelming is because I have developed a nice little network of friends here.  I now have lots of plans each week - and so the quiet nights I used to have at home are dwindling.  I am back to needing to work on the balance - but I so thankful that I have wonderful people to experience Colombia with!

No comments:

Post a Comment