Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Changes

Squeezed in a trip home this fall.  Amazing.

A great friend of my from high school was getting married and I really wanted to be there but flights are expensive and I didn't think my school was going to be too gung-ho about me missing work for a party.  Then grandpa starting going - quickly.  I was quite sure he wasn't going to hold out for one more of my visits in December, so I made the decision to book a flight that would allow me to visit with the grandparents and attend April's wedding.

Well, as in Grandpa fashion, he decided to do things his own way.  He passed away before I could say my final goodbyes but provided me with some great time with Grandma.  I arrived to her house a few days after the funeral which meant her stress levels were down and there weren't a million people visiting.  It was a great visit.  We went out to dinner, spent a morning drinking coffee and chatting on the back porch, and the weather could not have been better - cool, autumn air and trees with beautiful foliage.  I managed to run once with my parents - a run that prevented me from being able to walk normally for the following 3 days, those hills are no joke.





April's wedding was a great way to end my trip.  She was gorgeous (no surprise there) and seemed so happy.  It was great to catch up with old friends (old, as in friends from high school - we are not OLD in terms of our age...yet).

Beautiful bride.

Chance to catch up with old friends.


I should also mention I had a great visit with my "little" brother.  I got to relax and enjoy the views from his sweet apartment and recover from my red eye flight.  Then we went out to dinner (Northern Spy Co.  - highly recommended) and enjoyed a delicious, autumn meal and he paid! (I was outraged but then got over it...quickly..hehehe)  We ended the night drinking and watching football with his buddies.  These moments are few and far between, making them even more spectacular when they do happen.

The whole visit was a spur-of-the-minute idea, but I'm so glad I made it happen.

1 comment:

  1. It's such a blessing that you are able to go back and forth like you do to the States. I totally know what it's like to miss events in the lives of special people.

    Also, in the picture your friend (the bride) is very beautiful, but you are too.

    ReplyDelete