Sunday, January 1, 2012

A New Year in Colombia


I flew back to Colombia for the New Year because I didn’t want to miss out on too much.   The holiday was spent at a club in Anapoima with my boyfriend and his family.  (Yes, I currently have a boyfriend but I will not be writing about this in my blog.  If you want to be nosey, I understand, just shoot me an e-mail) :-)

Anyhow, the club was beautiful with pools, bar, restaurant, golf course (I don’t play), and comfortable rooms.  The weather in Anapoima is absolutely perfect – minimal humidity, 80s during the day, high 60s at night, a continuous gentle breeze and beautiful scenery.  We arrived in the afternoon of New Year’s Eve, ate some lunch, took a nap, and then festivities began.  It was nothing out of the ordinary but it was wonderful – great food, drinks, and dancing.  The one thing I have to say about Colombian events is that there is always good music and everyone dances – like really dances with real steps and turns, etc.  It is so much fun.  Was nervous to spend so much time with Juan Carlos’ family but they were a hoot – and I some how managed to hold my own with my Spanish.  I think this is a good sign – I’m actually learning Spanish!  Who would have thought?!
We spent another two days in Anapoima sleeping lots, eating well, and enjoying the sun.  It was an excellent way to kick off 2012.

Happy New Year to all.  Let’s make it the best year yet…seeing that according to the Mayans it’s our last. ;-)

Juan Carlos and I at the New Year's Eve celebration

With Juan Carlos' family

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! I can actually hear you say the word "hoot." That made me laugh. I was wondering why you didn't want to miss New Year's in Colombia versus in the States. So you have a boyfriend? I'll have to ask you about it. But he shows up a lot in the pictures. Attractive. I like how everyone is wearing white.

    Oh, actually, I think the Mayans predictions were just that 2012 was the end of one era or age (not necessarily the end of the world as some people see it); in other words, it's also the beginning or could be the beginning of a new age or era. Many people interpret this as the shift to a digital age (closer to a Jetsons era) like with the whole Google glasses as an example. :-)

    -V

    ReplyDelete