Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bucket List...so much to do!

So I've mentioned my Bucket List in this blog before but I've never shared it publicly.  It's a work in progress and some things I've already done (they are crossed out).  There are also things I feel tempted to add and cross out because I have done them and I want to feel like I'm making progress...but that's kind of beside the point.  The typed version of my Bucket List was finally created around April or May of this year as I was preparing for graduation and thinking about my next steps.  Until then it was written in bits and pieces in my journal.  I'm including it here for a few reasons:

  1. I was just reading it tonight and thinking about how much I want to do while I'm here in Colombia... it's exciting but also overwhelming but it helps me set goals.
  2. Accountability.  There is a lot I'd like to do while I'm in Colombia and the time is flying.  The "visit all countries in South America" goal is already looking like it's probably not going to happen in the next two years - there's so much to do in Colombia itself!
  3. For suggestions.  What very cool and important things am I forgetting?  There are lots of places that I'd like to visit that I have yet to add.  But please send places, activities, important milestones my way for consideration.
  4. For company and/or assistance.  If there are things on this list that you'd like to do as well, let me know and we'll start planning it. :) If there are things on this list you can help me with, let me know that as well.

Again, I'm always looking for new experiences and adventures, so this list is by no means getting in the way of my spontaneity or openness but it also ensures that I'm not sitting around twiddling my thumbs and it keeps me going on those tough days when I'm feeling lonely or defeated.

Some of the things are more serious than others...and again, its a work in progress.  I'm a bit nervous sharing this...but you're supposed to one thing every day that you're afraid of, right?
And so, without further ado, my bucket list:
  1. Become fluent in Spanish   My Spanish will never be perfect but I can work and live in Spanish, so we're going to say "fluent".
  2. Learn to drive a stick shift.
  3. Visit all 7 continents.
  4.  Live alone.
  5.   Live in another country for at least a year.
  6. Have an article/paper published in a journal or magazine.
  7. Visit these major sites:
    • a. The Great Pyramids
    • b.   Great Wall of China
    • c.   Taj Mahal
  8. Float in the Dead Sea
  9. Take a road trip across the United States (focusing on the northwest national parks)
    • Grand Canyon
    • Grand Tetons
    • Yellowstone
    • Redwood Forest
    • Lake Tahoe
    • Rocky Mountains
    • Drive the California coast
    • Visit New Mexico
  10. Run a marathon (Glad I can say I did it but…yuck.)
  11. Run a half marathon in another country (I’ve already done the marathon – and HATED IT…but I love running and 13.1 miles is pain free!)
  12. Achieve debt freedom!
  13. Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro
  14. Visit Jerusalem
  15. Visit all 50 states
  16.  Learn to knit
  17. Go on a meditation/yoga retreat in India
  18. Present at an international conference
  19. Take my parents on a vacation
  20. Skype monthly with my brother…not doing so well with this one Bub
  21. E-mail my grandparents monthly
  22. Sell my artwork
  23. Learn to sail
  24. Get PADI certified (scuba diving)
  25. Swim with sharks…to get over my fear
  26. Go running in a sports bra - no shirt (and feel comfortable doing it!)
  27. Plant a vegetable garden that can feed me and my family
  28. Learn to surf
  29. Complete a New York Times crossword puzzle
  30. Meet my Texas B’s for a vacation (aka Double Wide #?) in another country
  31. Milk a cow
  32. Get to a point where I can donate 10% of my earnings to others in need 
  33. Buy a house                         
While in DC for the summer…
  1. COMPLETE a crossword from the Express during my morning commute to
  2. Go on a 6-mile long run each weekend      
  3. Volunteer while I’m there
  4. Attend the Quaker meeting house on a Sunday
  5. Go to the Phillips Museum in DC
  6. Organize Thirsty Thursday for my 10 weeks there
  7. Visit the library of Congress
  8. Shop at Eastern Market
  9. Shop at a Farmers’ Market
  10. Visit Peggy and Jack
  11. Dim Sum in Chinatown
  12. Spend a Saturday or Sunday at Busboys and Poets perusing their amazing bookstore, sipping coffee, writing/sketching, and reading;
  13. Eat a cupcake from Cake Love
  14. Visit the H-Street Corridor
  15. Visit Columbia Heights
While living in Colombia…
  1. Visit all the countries in South America
    1. a.  Peru (Machu Picchu, Lima, etc.)
    2. b.   Equador (Quito, Galapagos, etc.)
    3. c.   Visit The Guyanas all at once (everyone tells me there’s no point…but I need to decide that for myself)
    4. d.   Buenos Aires, Montevideo
    5. e.   Brazil
    6. f.   Venezuela
    7. g.   Chile/Patagonia
    8. h.   Paraguay
    9. i.    Bolivia
  2. Dance salsa in Cali (with the full realization that I will be terrible in comparison to everyone else)
  3. Take a class (cooking, art, etc.) taught in Spanish OR take Spanish classes
  4. Draw/paint again
  5. Maintain a blog to document my experience
  6. Give a presentation in Spanish
  7. Date a Colombian (come on!  I had to include this!)
  8. Plan a program/activity/lesson between U.S. students and Colombian students (connected students in Colombia and Rwanda instead...I'm letting it count)
  9. Visit Villa de Leyva
  10. Go rock climbing in Suesca
  11. Hike around Guatavita Lake
  12. Buy a bike and use it to explore the city on Sundays
  13. Sleep in a hammock
  14. Visit La Ciudad Perdida
  15. Learn how to use the Transmilenio
  16. Finish 100 Years of Solitude … I’ve tried several times but then got disrupted for a few weeks…this time I will FINISH it!
  17. Attend a professional soccer match in Colombia
  18. Visit Medellin
UPDATED:
  1. Participate in a Tough Mudder


Alright folks, what do I HAVE to add... think BIG! :)

2 comments:

  1. Holler when you're planning to drive PCH up the California coast. If you do it on 4 wheels, you're doin' it wrong.

    ReplyDelete