Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Staying connected

It's been way too long since I've posted.  I think in my second year there is less that seems new and noteworthy.  Also, after my last post, it seemed strange to go back to simply reporting on my life here in Colombia.  Still, thought I'd share an update on my progress in staying connected to friends and family. I'm not doing super well, but there have been some improvements/discoveries.  In my last post, I said that my resolution for this year was to be better about my finances so that I can make the visits to friends and family for major events and when I feel the need.  This way Colombia won't feel so removed from the rest of the world.  I also, just generally need to be better about staying connected.

So how am I doing?

1) I've already booked the ticket for my friend Shannon's wedding in June.  I will be in the country for about 80 hours in total but it is soooo worth it.  Shannon is my oldest friend, not in age but in terms of the amount of time we've known each other.  We were in the same Kindergarten class and every Wednesday we were placed at the kitchen station together.  We've been friends ever since.  She's asked me to be in her wedding and I cannot wait to be there for the big day!

2) There was also talk about going to Shannon's second wedding in Macedonia (fiance's family is from there) and making it a super vacation by flying to Berlin to visit with my friend Sophia and then traveling by car, train, or plane (still undetermined) to visit a few places between Germany and Macedonia...Croatia for example.  This is still undetermined.  It would be amazing but also very expensive.  I've taken on some part-time work and I'm hoping to sell my car (my 2002 Honda that is sitting in my parents' garage) once springtime has sprung.  I also need to solidify a job for next year.  If these things happen, this trip might be possible.  I need  to visit Sophia and obviously the Macedonia wedding is a once in a lifetime opportunity... so it's still on the table.  If anyone reading this wins the lottery and wants to make someone verrrry happy, I'm your girl. (wink, wink)

3) Google Hangouts!  If you have not tried this yet, you should.  Last night I was able to talk to six of my friends from when I worked in Texas.  It was pure chaos and ridiculousness but it was also AWESOME!  We were all sitting in our own houses, at our computers, video-conferencing.  I could see and here everyone.  It was amazing.  There are lots of fun effects - like adding masks, eyewear, and hats to the videos and sounds to the conversations.  Again, ridiculous.  Hoping we can make this happen more regularly.  It made my week.  Here's a glimpse at what this conversation looked like:


4) Skyping with Mom and Dad.  In the past  I have always Skyped with my Mom and Dad at the same time, but a few weeks ago my Mom decided she was having it anymore.  Now I speak with each of them individually every other week.  It has turned out to be fabulous.  Dad and I talk about Dad and Kate stuff -  TUK (my car), weather, Yankees/Giants, work, love, funny stories about my mom (past and present), etc.  Mom and I talk about Mom and Kate stuff - work, books, exercise, recipes, love, education, etc.  Glad we have found a system that works and glad to have the quality time with each of them regularly.

Overall, I think I'm making progress.  Would like to Skype with some more friends regularly and need to be better about e-mailing Grandma and Grandpa, but I'm headed in the right direction.  Loving life in Colombia, but it's easier to love when I don't feel so far away from family and friends.

4 comments:

  1. Keeping my fingers crossed (or thumbs pushed in German) for #2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just like you. I really try to do whatever it takes and spend even my last dime to get to people's special days. In the past I used to make it to 50%, but now I try to make it to 100%. I only missed one wedding in 2012. It was because it was the same day as my cousin's wedding in another country.

    So save, save, save. I definitely support what you are doing (in life in general, too). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, and I'm glad you got on the Hangouts bandwagon. I prefer it over Skype because it uses less of my computer RAM and computing power. And, most importantly, I can do a multi-person vidoeconference for free (in Skype you can only do an teleconference [audio] for free with 3+ people). It's pretty hot, and it's actually QUITE wonderful to use in class for education when you want to bring your class together with other people in other locations.

    I even use it for one-to-one if the person knows the technology and is comfortable with it. If not, I'll use Skype. And Hangouts keeps getting better with all of the apps being created for it. I've even taught a number of classes through it. For teaching it's not better than Blackboard collaborate, but if you put in extra work, you can make it work. :-)

    ReplyDelete