Sunday, December 2, 2012

Bringing a Tradition to Colombia

My family has always been big on traditions and Christmas time is loaded with them:  Christmas Eve pagaent when Bubba and I were younger, now the Candlelight Midnight Service; Opening stockings on Mom and Dad's bed before we go downstairs to open the gifts; Dad puts the lights on the tree, I make the bows for the tree; Dad makes the mashed potatoes; Mom always has ham roll-ups and a Christmas punch with ginger ale, orange juice and cranberry juice... the list goes on and for sure things change a bit here and there with time but one tradition that I have missed for many years has been the tradition of Cookie Day.

Since I can remember, my mom has hosted Cookie Day.  Two of her friends, Sara and Joanne,  and my mom each plan 3 - 5 cookie recipes.  They all congregate at my house and spend the day making their recipes.  At the end of the day the cookies are split among the three of them and everyone leaves with a whole lot of different kinds of cookies to share with holiday visitors and with friends and co-workers, teachers and family during the holiday season.  It is awesome.  It's a laid-back day with lots of catching up on the latest gossip and life stories and lots and lots of laughs as the individuals try out (and sometimes fail with) new recipes and problem solve around specific directions (for example, to crush candy canes is it best to drive over a bag of them several times with your car or smash them with a mallet?!).

Living in Colombia is wonderful.  Life is simpler.  But still, at times, I miss the traditions and the comfort of family and friends.  As with Thanksgiving, I decided that not being in the United States would no longer be an excuse for me to miss out on the things I love.  Sure, turnips and cranberry sauce are things I simply cannot get, but make time with friends a priority here and re-creating traditions can be done.  Today was a perfect example.

  


















I hosted my very own Cookie Day with two of my friends, Tiffany and Marisa...my English-speaking friends.  We each agreed on making two recipes.  We started at noon and ended at 7:00 pm.  We had some successes and some recipes that we were less-than-psyched about but overall it was a success.  We got caught up on life, laughed as we listened to funny stories from each other (especially Tiffany who is currently processing a life transition from living the high-life to living....well, to living with a bit less stuff and a few more people....hehe).  We ordered pizza and took a short break to re-energize and then ended the day with at least 6 dozen cookies each.  AWESOME!


  


It is such a joy, knowing I have people in my life here in Colombia with whom I can re-create these traditions.  It was also really special to create this tradition here.  As far away from home as I am, this day helped me to realize just how connected I still am to life and family in the States and to think about how much of who I am is connected to all the experiences my family created for me growing up.  I am so blessed and so thankful for that.

3 comments:

  1. Any chance u can bring some cookies home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 dozen cookies each?! Impressive. My family is big on the Christmas cookie baking too but I leave the work to my sister and aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Dad, cookies are being gifted to folks here. :)

    ReplyDelete