Saturday, May 19, 2012

Ajiaco: What's Cookin'

I know I have written blogs about my Stage 2 Culture Shock and some of the things that have made adjusting to life in Colombia difficult...the food is NOT one of them.  It is AMAZING - the fresh fruit (and juice), picada, bandeja paisa, tamales, empanadas, canelazo...the list goes on and on of food and drink that I just can't get enough of but one of my all time favorites so far is Ajiaco.

It's been on my to-do list to try and make it - and seeing that this may be the first long weekend that I am not traveling, it seemed like as a good a time as ever.  Ajiaco is basically chicken and potato soup, it is served with mazorca (corn), avocado and rice on the side and on top of the soup you put sour cream (will the Colombia version of it) and capers which for me are what absolutely make the dish.  There was quite a bit of cutting and peeling and I learned a lot about potatoes (this soup has three kinds!) but overall it was pretty simple.

And it the end it was DELICIOUS!

The ingredients all laid out and ready to go.

Three types of potatoes - who knew?!

The final product - YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment