Sunday, July 12, 2009


This weekend we went to Murichson Falls for a river and land safari. It was a very relaxing and much needed respite as I am struggling to get over a cold (it’s just a cold, despite the Ugandan teachers consistently mentioning that I might have “a touch of the malaria”). The park was huge and I was amazed out how plentiful the wildlife was. On Saturda
y we drove 3 hours on a dirt “road” – it was extremely bumpy and several people ended up vomiting but I think in the end people would agree it was worth the agony. We arrived at the park and headed to our river tour. We spent the entire afternoon riding along the Nile River observing the wildlife. There a ton of hippos – an extremely dangerous animal but fascinating to watch, crocodiles, and birds. There was also the falls which was a pretty beautiful view. By the time we arrived to our camp I was ravenous and dead tired. We ate chicken curry and then I showered and attempted an early bed time. The only challenges were the warthogs pigging out outside of my tent and the large group of Brits that were singing Disney songs at their campsite until midnight. It’s funny looking back…but at the time I was not a happy camper.
On Sunday we woke up at 5:45 am to take a drive through the park. Through the park we rode in the luggage rack on top of our mutatu (van). While we used pillows to cushion our bums the padding was simply not enough. Again, however, it was worth the slight discomfort. We saw literally hundreds of elephants, giraffes, deer-like things (oribi, Jackson heartabeast, cob, etc.), Cape Buffalo, more hippos, birds, monkeys, baboons – incredible! I’ve tried to include some pictures – there will be more when I can share those my friends have taken with top-quali

ty zoom lens cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment